Columbus State University Sustainability Mission
The Office of Sustainability exists to develop an ethic, practice and culture of sustainability throughout Columbus State University, and to serve as a sustainability education and training resource for individuals and organizations within the university and in local, regional, national, and international communities.
The Office works to foster a culture and practice of sustainability on campus that is expressed throughout the University's instructional, research, outreach, and operational activities. The Office also offers sustainability-relation education and training, as well as planning and decision-making workshops and seminars for business, government, civic, and other groups.
Columbus State University has already made many changes to improve sustainability:
- Recycling (to include paper, aluminum, plastic, batteries, small electronics, toner cartridges, as well as some construction waste)
- Car Sharing (Zipcars that students and faculty can rent by the hour or day)
- Solar Panels (to light pathway lights near the Soccer Field and Cunningham Center)
- Bus Transit (to transport students and decrease parking spaces for cars)
- Purchase and Use of Electric Vehicles for Plant Operations Personnel and the purchase of new fuel efficient vehicles campus wide
- Energy Management System (allows room temperatures and energy consumption to be remotely controlled.)
- "Green" Chemicals (for cleaning with Campus Services)
- Bike and Walking Paths (to encourage use of bicycles and walking for health reasons and decreasing carbon footprint on campus)
- Landscape Design (use native plants and mulch, decreasing watering efforts)
Sustainability is about creating a better future. As a result, our work is aspirational and future-focused. We are committed to a servant leadership approach in working for the common good. Hope and expectation of progress are essential to our work.
We work to enable others to realize their ability and power to be co-creators of the future, and we engage people in specific, relevant efforts that make a difference in achieving a sustainable society.